When you’ve been ordered not to eat anything 3 hours before bedtime (to prevent reflux), it’s not an option to skip breakfast. Get in the nutrition while you can! Smoothies, egg whites, and non-sugary cereals are great options.
I used to make oatmeal with tons of cinnamon and dried fruit, and sometimes chocolate chips, so this recipe needed adjustment. It would probably be OK to add a few raisins, but I find it easier to abstain from something altogether than to eat just a little bit. (I’m talking to you, dried tart cherries.)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 2/3 cup plain skim or soy milk
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger or vanilla extract
- 1/2 small Braeburn or Gala apple, chopped
- 2 tsp. honey, to taste
- Combine all ingredients, stir, and microwave for 3 minutes. (Cooking time may be faster if you have a strong microwave.)
- Stir and microwave for about 2 more minutes, until the liquid is almost all absorbed. Keep watch near the end; open the microwave door and stir if the bowl is in danger of overflowing.
- Allow oatmeal to cool for a few minutes before eating.
- Be sure to rinse the bowl with warm water and scrape off the residue when you’re done, or you may have oatmeal stains on your bowl forever.