I love making brunch and always end up wondering—why don’t I do this more? This past weekend, a delicious batch of banana-oat pancakes got a thumbs-up from diners aged 2 to 32.
This recipe makes light, very banana-y pancakes that have a heartier consistency than those made with just flour. The oats make the texture less airy, but I enjoy that. It fills me up and doesn’t feel as sugary. These pancakes have just the right amount of sweetness when you top them with extra bananas and real maple syrup.
When having people over for brunch, I would serve these pancakes with a side of scrambled eggs and sliced melon. Or you can have them as a first course, followed by a bacon and poached egg biscuit sandwich, as I did—although that is not recommended by gastroenterologists 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups plain soy milk
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 heaping tbsp brown sugar
- FOR GARNISH: maple syrup & 2 more ripe bananas, sliced
- In a large blender, combine milk and oats and puree until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and blend.
- Allow the batter to sit for 10 minutes so the oats can soak up some of the liquid.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or a large nonstick pan over medium. Pour batter onto the pan to create pancakes of your desired size. (Mine were about 5 inches in diameter.)
- Cook for about 4 minutes on the first side, until golden brown. When bubbles start to form, they probably aren’t ready yet! Be patient. When flipping, give it a try with the nonstick spatula and ensure that the whole pancake is ready; it will come off the pan easily.
- Flip and cook for about 4 minutes on the other side, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Pancakes are best if eaten right off the griddle, but you can reheat them in the microwave or keep them warm in a 200-degree oven if you want to serve a group all at once. Top warm pancakes with banana slices and syrup.
Serves 4 (makes about 14 pancakes). Adapted from http://vegenista.com/post/33972977623/vegan-banana-oatmeal-pancakes