I’m on a breakfast kick, and mini frittatas are my favorite outcome from this morning-food extravaganza. They solve the problem of how to serve eggs to a group—bake them all at once! Also, the mini size is so darn cute.
These are easy to make; the only difficulty is in removing them from the pan. Use cooking spray, even if your muffin pan is nonstick. Allow the frittatas to cool for a few minutes after cooking, and use a rubber spatula to pop them out. If you leave them in the pan too long, they’ll be difficult to remove. Try running a toothpick around the edge of each frittata before prying them loose with the spatula.
Basil and piquillo peppers are the stars of this dish. That makes the flavors a bit Italian, but you could serve these alongside anything at a brunch. None of your dining partners will guess that these are low in fat, with only two egg yolks in the entire batch!
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 whole eggs
- 8 egg whites
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 2 pieces piquillo or roasted red pepper (2 tbsp chopped)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a standard-sized muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil over medium in a nonstick skillet. Add the carrots and cook for about 7 minutes until softened.
- Rinse the piquillo peppers under cool water and dry very well. Chop and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, salt, and onion powder until very well blended. Add cheese, peppers, parsley, basil, and carrots; mix well. Spoon or pour evenly into the muffin cups. Each cup should be about two-thirds full.
- Bake until just set, 20 to 22 minutes. The tops will not be browned, but the edges will be when you take the frittatas out of the pan. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan with a rubber spatula.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftovers. Reheat in the microwave for about 60 seconds.
Makes 12 mini frittatas; serves 4 to 6. Adapted from http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipes/recipe/muffin-frittatas