Waffles have become my favorite at-home brunch item. With a nonstick waffle maker, they’re quick and easy to put together—and they feel so fancy.
This recipe relies on a boxed mix. But wow, this mix is good! Log Cabin‘s all-natural pancake mix has lots of fiber and doesn’t include any ingredients that I can’t pronounce. The waffles and pancakes come out so fabulously that I don’t see any reason to measure my own dry ingredients if I want a simple breakfast.
This apple topping is sweet and perfectly spiced. It’s delicious on waffles because the syrup combines with some juice from the cooked apples, and that juice soaks in. For that reason, though, you shouldn’t let the topping sit on the waffles for long.
With a standard waffle maker (7 inches in diameter), you will get two jumbo waffles from this recipe. Depending on your mood and if you want to serve something on the side, you should plan on each person eating one waffle or half of a waffle. You can freeze extra waffle sections and pop them in the toaster later.
- 1 cup Log Cabin all-natural pancake mix
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 Gala apple
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat a standard 7-inch waffle iron. In a medium bowl, combine pancake mix, oil, egg whites, and milk. Stir until the big lumps disappear.
- Pour half of the mixture into the center of the waffle maker, and wait a few seconds for it to spread to the corners. Close the waffle maker and cook as per the device’s instructions—mine is for 3 minutes.
- Remove the waffle with a spatula and repeat with the other half of the batter.
- While waffles are cooking, core and chop the apple. Place in a bowl and microwave for 60 seconds. Add 1 tbsp maple syrup and the cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Stir well to coat the apples evenly, and microwave for another 90 seconds.
- Top each waffle with half of the apples and the spiced syrup from the bowl. Serve immediately with additional syrup.
Serves 2 to 4.