When I get tired of oatmeal, quinoa is an alternative for quick breakfasts. It’s more expensive, but it has more protein, and the texture is a nice change. The sensation of springy quinoa spheres rolling around on my tongue reminds me of a much-adored childhood treat, Dippin’ Dots.
This recipe could be altered in so many ways. Some people with heartburn are bothered by cinnamon—if that’s the case, ground ginger is equally tasty. I alternate or sometimes mix the two spices for variety. You could also add a handful of nuts for crunch or use dried Turkish apricots or bananas instead of apples.
- 3/4 cup plain cooked quinoa
- 1/2 a Gala apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup skim or soy milk
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger or cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- Stir all ingredients together in a bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes or until hot.
- Stir well and enjoy!