I love adding fresh fruit to oatmeal during cooking—it breaks up into sweet little pieces of flavor. I’m still enamored with raspberries, since recently discovering that they’re OK for heartburn, and they’re a new way to change up my oatmeal.
If you want to use frozen bananas or berries, I’d recommend adding them during the first step instead of the second. Other than that, I can’t think of anything that could go wrong in this recipe. It’s fast and easy to make even when I’m half-asleep in the morning.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 2/3 cup almond or soy milk
- 2 tsp brown sugar or honey
- 1/8 tsp vanilla
- 1 small ripe banana, sliced
- 1/3 cup raspberries
- Mix the oats, milk, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. Microwave for 90 seconds.
- Add the sliced banana and raspberries and stir. Microwave for 2 more minutes. Stir and allow to cool for a minute before eating.
Serves 1. Active time 3 minutes; total time 6 minutes.