After much experimentation, I declare this the best butter-free, oil-free banana muffin recipe. The key to keeping it moist is to use 3 bananas. Most recipes call for only 2, but these 3-banana muffins are definitely less dry.
These muffins aren’t as velvety as the butter-filled ones, but they still hit the spot. They’re nice and dense, which makes them a filling snack. I recommend making them without wrappers; these can be tough to remove from the papers. Plus, it’s easier to freeze extras when they don’t have wrappers.
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- scant 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat white flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the sugar and beaten egg to the mashed bananas and stir, using a fork to remove as many banana chunks as possible. Add the applesauce and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and stir until well mixed.
- Scoop a scant 1/4 cup of batter into each of 10 standard muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray. (Do not use paper liners unless you’re willing to wait several hours for the cupcakes to cool.)
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, and then remove from the pan and enjoy.
Makes 10. Active time 15 minutes; total time 30 minutes. Adapted from http://www.food.com/recipe/best-ever-banana-muffins-62286