As is obvious from the lag between blog posts, I haven’t been in the kitchen much this summer. The large box of produce I get delivered every other week from Boston Organics seems to make me cook less; I’ve been eating a lot of simple veggie wraps, salads, and smoothies.
I’ve heard that avocado is delicious in smoothies, but I don’t normally buy high-fat avocados. After getting one in the produce delivery, I experimented with eating a quarter of an avocado at a time. With a relatively low-fat meal, it didn’t cause any heartburn.
To store the rest of the avocado between uses, leave the extra flesh in the skin and wrap the whole thing tightly in plastic wrap. Be sure to push the plastic into empty space in the skin.
- 1 banana
- 1/4 of an avocado
- 1/4 cup frozen raspberries
- dash of vanilla
- 1/2 cup soy or almond milk
- 2 ice cubes
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt OR more banana (optional)
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
- For an extra-thick smoothie, add yogurt or more banana and blend again.
Serves 1. Active and total time 5 minutes. Adapted from http://www.texanerin.com/2012/04/raspberry-banana-avocado-smoothie.html